DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
Instructions by Joseph Smith the Prophet, given at Ramus, Illinois, May
16 and 17, 1843. HC 5: 392393.
14, Celestial marriage is essential to exaltation in the highest heaven;
56, How men are sealed up unto eternal life; 78, All spirit is matter.
1. In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;
2. And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order
of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];
3. And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.
4. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he
cannot have an increase.
5. (May 17th, 1843.) The more sure word of prophecy means a mans knowing
that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of
prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood.
6. It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance.
7. There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but
it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;
8. We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.